Fortune asked a wide variety of people what was the best advice they ever got. It’s remarkable how many credited a former boss.
Article: The Best Advice I Ever Got
Some of my favorites:
- Michael Bloomberg: Always ask for the order and when the customer says yes, stop talking.
- Tina Fey: Sign your own checks.
- Peter Peterson: Focus on things you do better than others.
- Nelson Peltz: Get sales up and keep expenses down.
- Charlene Begley: Spend a ton of time with your customers.
- Andrea Guerra: In your first years, don’t chase fancy titles; find people who can teach you something.
What’s the best advice you ever got?